Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Nine-vehicle crash in Surrey, shuts Highway 99, disrupting commuter traffic

Nine-vehicle crash in Surrey, shuts Highway 99, disrupting commuter traffic
Police in Surrey say a section of Highway 99 remains closed the day after a nine-vehicle crash that sent six people to hospital. The Surrey Police Service says a transport vehicle was involved in collisions in the northbound lanes before crossing the median into oncoming southbound traffic near the Highway 91 interchange around 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

Nine-vehicle crash in Surrey, shuts Highway 99, disrupting commuter traffic

Meta gives in to CRTC disclosure order on Online News Act compliance

Meta gives in to CRTC disclosure order on Online News Act compliance
The CRTC asked Meta what measures it’s taking to comply with the Online News Act, and if news is being made available on its platforms — which would require the company to compensate media outlets for displaying their content. Meta blocked news from Facebook and Instagram in response to that legislation.

Meta gives in to CRTC disclosure order on Online News Act compliance

Some epilepsy patients worry their seizures will return amid medication shortage

Some epilepsy patients worry their seizures will return amid medication shortage
The Canadian Epilepsy Alliance says an ongoing shortage of an epilepsy medication is leaving some patients worried they'll start to have seizures again if they switch to an alternative.  The shortage of Teva-clobazam, which began last May, is expected to last until April next year, according to Health Canada's drug shortages website. 

Some epilepsy patients worry their seizures will return amid medication shortage

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says
As Canada looks to beef up its border security after president-elect Donald Trump threatened tariffs while raising concerns about illicit fentanyl pouring into his country, border officials pointed out there's barely any coming from Canada. Though, none of them wanted to say the name Trump when they said so.

Canada not a significant source of fentanyl flowing into U.S., CBSA says

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort
A skier has gone missing at a resort in the British Columbia Interior, and ground- and air-based search crews are canvassing the area for any sign of him. Sun Peaks Resort says in a statement that 68-year-old Tomasz Jaholkowski was last seen on Tuesday at its West Bowl chairlift on Tod Mountain, northeast of Kamloops. 

Rescue crews, aerial searchers on the lookout for missing skier at B.C. resort

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives
Premier David Eby said the tax credit for international projects made in B.C. will jump from 28 to 36 per cent, and an incentive for Canadian-content productions will increase from 35 to 36 per cent. There's also a special bonus to attract blockbuster productions with budgets of $200 million.

B.C. aims to hang onto 'Hollywood north' title by boosting film and TV tax incentives