Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump is brushing off threats from Ontario to restrict electricity exports. On Wednesday, Ford said Ontario is contemplating restricting electricity exports to Michigan, New York state and Minnesota if Trump imposes sweeping tariffs on all Canadian products.

Trump brushes off Ford's threat to cut Ontario's electricity exports to U.S. states

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids
Canada told the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal it can't say when it will work through 140,000 backlogged requests for Jordan's Principle to be applied. The principle is a legal rule that stipulates that when a First Nations child needs health, social or educational services they are to receive them from the government first approached, with questions about final jurisdiction worked out afterward.

Canada can't say when it will clear 140,000 backlogged cases for First Nations kids

Man found guilty of second degree murder

Man found guilty of second degree murder
They say that Mounties in Richmond responded to a report of a body found on March 2, 2017, and I-HIT took over the file after they determined Allen William Skedden's death was suspicious. Police say the B-C Prosecution Service charged Adrianus Rosbergen in February 2022.

Man found guilty of second degree murder

Man who set fires at Calgary city hall lost testicle during police standoff: watchdog

Man who set fires at Calgary city hall lost testicle during police standoff: watchdog
The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, or ASIRT, says officers responded to calls about an unknown man who broke into the building armed with a machete and set a number of fires.

Man who set fires at Calgary city hall lost testicle during police standoff: watchdog

New $1.4M fund aims to bring more veterinarians to rural B.C.

New $1.4M fund aims to bring more veterinarians to rural B.C.
A new program is offering up to $25,000 to help clinics attract more veterinarians to the rural British Columbia. Businesses can apply for a portion of the $1.4 million recruitment and retention program to support hiring bonuses for new veterinarians and technologists, or for highly needed services like extra staffing during calving and lambing season.

New $1.4M fund aims to bring more veterinarians to rural B.C.

Housing unaffordability still rising despite billions in government measures: PBO

Housing unaffordability still rising despite billions in government measures: PBO
The Parliamentary Budget Officer says the number of Canadians in need of affordable housing is still rising, even though Canada is spending billions of dollars a year to address the shortage. A new report from the budget watchdog this morning says 2.4 million Canadian households are now in core housing need.

Housing unaffordability still rising despite billions in government measures: PBO