Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam
Police in Coquitlam say they have arrested a man they believe was involved in a series of alleged sexual assaults in the Metro Vancouver city. They say police are investigating a total of nine reports of the suspect inappropriately touching women while they were walking.

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Major drug bust in Campbell River

Major drug bust in Campbell River
Mounties in Campbell River say a 24-year-old man is facing possible charges after a search warrant turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs last month. They say officers seized more than 900 grams of cocaine, 200 grams of fentanyl, 260 hydromorphone pills and 26-thousand dollars in cash during the search.

Major drug bust in Campbell River

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate
British Columbia's seniors advocate says the province is falling behind in meeting the basic needs of its older residents. Seniors Advocate Dan Levitt says in a report that despite some investments in services for seniors, there are troubling statistics surrounding health care, long-term care, home care, housing, transportation and community services.

B.C. falls behind in meeting needs of seniors as population grows, says advocate

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms
Prince George R-C-M-P say they have seized drugs and multiple high-power firearms after officers saw a man set a stolen car on fire. The incident happened on November 29th, when police on patrol saw the arson took place.

Prince George RCMP seizes drugs and firearms

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department
The Tsilhqot’in National Government in British Columbia says it has formed a "historic partnership" with the federal Fisheries Department to develop a permanent salmon conservation hatchery in its territory. It says the hatchery will be managed by the nation, which is host to three salmon-bearing watersheds: the Chilcotin, the Chilko, and the Taseko rivers.

B.C. First Nation to develop salmon hatchery with Fisheries Department

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes
A Nanaimo man has been taken to hospital after being stabbed with syringes in the bathroom of a local park. Mounties say the 58-year-old man is a City of Nanaimo employee and suffered injuries to his face and abdomen in the attack at about 10 a-m yesterday.

Nanaimo man stabbed with syringes