Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

More than 40 vehicles vandalized in Nanaimo in one night

More than 40 vehicles vandalized in Nanaimo in one night
Mounties in Nanaimo are looking for witnesses or camera footage that may help them pinpoint the person, or people, involved in the vandalism of dozens of vehicles over several hours. An RCMP statement says officers received 42 reports of windows being smashed, tires being flattened and broken side mirrors.

More than 40 vehicles vandalized in Nanaimo in one night

Fake taxi scam in Abbotsford

Fake taxi scam in Abbotsford
A scam involving fake taxis being used to steal people's debit and credit cards appears to have made its way to Abbotsford after a warning from Burnaby R-C-M-P. The scam involves the use of a black vehicle with a taxi sign on the roof and two fraudsters, one posing as a driver and one as a passenger.

Fake taxi scam in Abbotsford

Body found in Nelson

Body found in Nelson
Police on Vancouver Island say a signal from an S-O-S device led them to find the body of a man who was last known to live in Nelson. R-C-M-P say they received an S-O-S call from the device associated with the man early Tuesday morning, leading them to a makeshift campsite outside Port Alberni. 

Body found in Nelson

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.
Another piece of the puzzle for conservation efforts along the Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C. is in place. Nature Conservancy Canada says wildlife including grizzly bear numbers have been declining in the region, which is why it added a new conservation area next to Kootenay National Park that links to a "network of already protected" lands.

New conservation area announced for Rocky Mountain Trench in B.C.

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks
In a statement issued Wednesday night, the union said a mediated settlement has been reached that requires Canada Post to notify affected employees that they are not on a temporary layoff.

Settlement reached in complaint over Canada Post layoffs as strike hits four weeks

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?
Canada is aiming to cut its emissions in half by 2035 compared to 2005 levels, a newly released target range that is lower than what a federal advisory body recommended. Environment and Climate Change Minister Steven Guilbeault says a target of reducing emissions by 45 to 50 per cent balances both ambition and achievability. 

Canada says it wants to slash its emissions by half by 2035. Will that be enough?