Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security
Canada Border Services Agency President Erin O'Gorman and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Michael Duheme will appear at the House of Commons public safety and national security committee. During the presidential race, Trump threatened to deport millions of undocumented people.

Border officials, RCMP to testify on impact of Trump's plans for border security

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM
Speaking on Tuesday night at an event hosted by the Equal Voice Foundation — an organization dedicated to improving gender representation in Canadian politics — Trudeau said there are regressive forces fighting against women's progress.

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved
More than 15,000 people received medical assistance in dying in Canada in 2023, but federal statistics show the growth in cases has slowed significantly. Health Canada says in its fifth annual report on MAID that the 15,343 people who received help to die last year represented a 15.8 per cent increase from 2022.

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police
A 42-year-old man from Surrey faces charges of impaired operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.  The man is set appear in court in March, while he has also lost his driver's licence for 90 days and the truck was impounded for 24 hours.

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police