Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says
The federal government pushed to end the work stoppage last week, when Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order the 55,000 picketing employees back to work within days if it determined a deal isn't doable before the end of the year.

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is reeling as he loses top cabinet ministers, including Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland who was set to release a key economic update on Monday. Freeland made a surprise declaration she's making her exit from cabinet because the prime minister lost faith in her, after she fought back against some of his policy decisions and he wanted to assign her to a new role.

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.
Squamish RCMP say emergency crews have recovered the body of one of the two people who may have been home after their residence was hit by the same mudslide that closed the Sea to Sky highway. BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. James Grandy says the search continues this evening for a second person who remains unaccounted for.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are warning the public about Interac e-transfer scams after a resident in the city was defrauded of three-thousand dollars. They say victims of this type of scam often receive an email that prompts them to click a link and enter their banking details.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name
A Canadian Navy vessel with the name HMCS Protecteur will again set sail, nearly a decade after the last supply ship with its respected legacy was taken out of service. The new joint support ship — the longest naval vessel ever to be built in Canada — was launched at a rainy ceremony at shipbuilder Seaspan's shipyards in North Vancouver, B.C., attended by dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says with Donald Trump as president, the United States has an open strategy of creating economic uncertainty in other countries to discourage investment outside U.S. borders. Freeland says the incoming Trump administration is proudly economic nationalist and Ottawa is realistic in recognizing that's the case.

Trump's 'strategy' is to create economic uncertainty in other countries: Freeland