Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure
The CEO of the B.C. Restaurant and Food Services Association, Ian Tostenson, said the shows that ended Sunday had an effect that went far beyond other concert or sporting events in the city.

Swift's daily impact on Vancouver may have exceeded 2010 Games, says industry figure

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man
The 21-year-old male, Tajas, is described as approximately 5’9” tall and 120 lbs. He has a "significant injury," and he left a home on foot at about 3:40 this morning wearing nothing but underwear.

Public assistance requested to locate injured missing 21 year old Delta man

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses
R-C-M-P say fraud cases in Richmond in the past year has resulted in more than 33-million-dollars in losses, and residents need to stay vigilant. Mounties say Richmond residents reported 990 cases of fraud from January to December, up slightly from 945 cases in 2023.

Richmond RCMP say fraud cases yielded in over 33M in losses

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be
Speaking at an event put on by the Halifax Chamber of Commerce, Trudeau said that's because Trump's team is coming in with a much clearer set of ideas of what they want to do right away than after his first election win in 2016.

Trudeau says dealing with Trump will be "a little more challenging" than last time

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals
As the Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 workers neared the end of its 25th day, the postal service warned that a speedy resolution is unlikely. In a statement Monday, Canada Post said the latest proposals from the union widen the gap between the two parties, claiming the union has in some cases increased its demands. 

Canada Post warns no end in sight for strike after receiving latest union proposals

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year
Premier David Eby says BC Hydro, a Crown utility, has selected the projects following a strong response to its call for new renewable power-generation operations.

B.C. selects nine wind power projects to boost energy supply by eight per cent a year