Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires
The federal government says B.C. saw more than 4,000 wildfires in the two years, with 223 evacuations orders and 431 alerts affecting about 192,000 residents overall.

Feds send $148 million to B.C. in disaster recovery funds for floods, wildfires

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets
Anyone wishing to attend the upcoming provincial state memorial service for former premier John Horgan is being asked to reserve free tickets. Horgan's service will be held Sunday at the Q Centre in Colwood, west of Victoria, which has a capacity for about 4,000 people.

State memorial for former B.C. premier Horgan open to the public, requires tickets

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago
Police say two men been have been charged in the death of 38-year-old Surrey resident Kenneth Thomas Howe in August 2021. An update from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says a 38-year-old man has now been charged with second-degree murder, while investigators found evidence indicating a 34-year-old man was involved after the death.

2 charged in the homicide of a Surrey resident from 3 years ago

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation
The federal government's GST holiday would cost as much as $2.7 billion if provinces with a harmonized sales tax asked for compensation, the parliamentary budget officer said on Monday. But the decision from some provinces with an HST not to demand compensation for their portion of lost revenue lessens the cost on Ottawa significantly. 

GST break would cost Ottawa $2.7B if provinces with HST asked for compensation

Avian flu at another farm

Avian flu at another farm
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says avian flu has been detected at another commercial poultry farm in Abbotsford.  The agency says there are now 66 locations in B-C where the virus has been found.

Avian flu at another farm

Shooting suspect on the lam in Abbotsford

Shooting suspect on the lam in Abbotsford
Police in Abbotsford say a shooting suspect is on the loose after officers were called to a Harris Road property early yesterday morning.  Police say the owner encountered an unknown man on his property and the suspect fired shots before running away after an unspecified interaction with the property owner. 

Shooting suspect on the lam in Abbotsford