Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear
Taylor Swift fans were up before the sun in Vancouver to snag some coveted shirts, bags and sweaters to mark her record-breaking Eras Tour. A line of hundreds of fans snaked around Vancouver's downtown pier waiting for the first major in-person sale of official Swift merchandise ahead of three concerts in the city this week.

Early-rising Taylor Swift fans wait for hours in Vancouver for concert gear

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support
A $1-billion lithium-ion battery cell production plant that was planned for Maple Ridge, B.C., has been shelved.  The parent company, Taiwan Cement Corp., announced construction of the Canadian plant with much fanfare last year, with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier David Eby attending and promising a combined $284.5 million in government funding. 

Taiwan firm halts plan for $1B battery plant in B.C. that had federal support

Contracts announced for Alaska Highway

Contracts announced for Alaska Highway
The federal government has awarded two contracts totalling more than 103-million dollars for maintenance work on he Alaska Highway in northern B-C. Public Services and Procurement Canada says the contracts cover work on two sections of the highway, from kilometres 133 to 968.

Contracts announced for Alaska Highway

Avian flu detected at another farm

Avian flu detected at another farm
It's the fifth flock where the virus has been detected in as many days, all in Abbotsford. It brings the total number of infected facilities in B-C to 63.

Avian flu detected at another farm

Senior dead in fatal crash

Senior dead in fatal crash
A 78-year-old woman is dead after ahead-on crash in the Fraser Valley last night. R-C-M-P say initial evidence suggests the woman was driving south on Wilson Street, outside Mission, when her car crossed the centre line.

Senior dead in fatal crash

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc
LeBlanc couldn't provide specifics on the number of extra "boots on the ground," but said the government is finalizing a plan based on advice received from the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency, and that he is now working with Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to fund it.

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc