Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats
The head of Canada's diplomatic service says he recently briefed diplomats working in Canada about where their work might cross the line from influence into foreign interference. Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister David Morrison tells The Canadian Press that the ongoing inquiry into foreign interference and extensive media coverage might have created uncertainty around the issue.

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect
Vancouver Art Gallery CEO Anthony Kiendl also says in a written statement that it would no longer be working with the Swiss architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron, although it remains committed to building a new cultural hub that will “serve and inspire diverse audiences.”

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter
Environment Canada says most of the country will see normal or above-normal temperatures this winter, but the later part of the season could be very different from the start.  The federal agency released its winter forecast today, with meteorologists noting that the fall was extremely mild, particularly in Western Canada, until the last couple of weeks. 

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting
Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year. Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

Justice Minister Arif Virani says controversial online harms bill to be split in two

Justice Minister Arif Virani says controversial online harms bill to be split in two
Justice Minister Arif Virani says the Liberal government will split up its contentious online harms bill, putting a priority on passing measures to fight child sex predators. Virani says the move will create an opening for a swath of the bill's measures to swiftly pass through the House of Commons before the next election.

Justice Minister Arif Virani says controversial online harms bill to be split in two

Pressure rises on federal government to intervene in Canada Post strike

Pressure rises on federal government to intervene in Canada Post strike
The business community is ramping up pressure on the federal government to intervene in the ongoing Canada Post strike, which is on its 20th day.  The Retail Council of Canada said Tuesday that the strike by more than 55,000 workers countrywide is putting businesses and their employees in jeopardy. 

Pressure rises on federal government to intervene in Canada Post strike