Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff
Eby says the premiers will meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week to discuss "our strategic approach" to Trump's plan to impose the tariff immediately after his inauguration on Jan. 20, unless action is taken to stem the flow of migrants and illegal drugs over the border. Eby made the comments at the annual convention of the B.C. Federation of Labour.

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises
Monday evening the president-elect posted on Truth Social that he will sign an executive order imposing a 25 per cent tariff on all products coming in to the U.S. from Canada and Mexico until both countries stop drugs, in particular fentanyl, and people from illegally crossing the borders.

At the U.S-Mexico border, residents want Donald Trump to fulfill his promises

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving
Canada's Border Services Agency is warning travellers heading to the U-S for Thanksgiving to plan ahead to minimize waits during the busy travel season. The agency says it is monitoring traveller volumes for peak periods and will take steps to minimize waits at both land crossings and at international airports, but travellers can avoid long lines if they travel in the early mornings.

Busy travel season at the border ahead of US Thanksgiving

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle
Nanaimo police say an officer narrowly avoided serious injury after a suspected impaired driver rear-ended a police vehicle over the weekend. Police say the officer had stopped roadside along with another vehicle he had pulled over for speeding when an S-U-V struck the police car from behind.

Impaired driver rear ends a police vehicle

Woman injured in police altercation

Woman injured in police altercation
B-C's independent police watchdog is investigating after a woman was seriously injured in Chilliwack during an altercation with officers. The Independent Investigations Office says the woman was allegedly impaired and refusing to take a cab at a restaurant on November 22nd, choosing instead to get into her car.

Woman injured in police altercation

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature
Activists say a silent vigil was held at the B-C Legislature in memory of 16 women killed this year, an event coinciding with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Vigil organizer Vancouver Rape Relief says participants held up signs with the names of the women killed this year, along with a large banner that read "no more femicide."

Silent vigil held at the BC legislature