Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet
A statement from the privacy commissioners of both Ontario and British Columbia says their joint report, completed in June 2020, found that LifeLabs "failed to take reasonable steps" to protect clients' data while collecting more personal health information than was "reasonably necessary."

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs. The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Canada is considering a number of measures at the American border, including additional resources.  This comes after president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian and Mexican imports unless action is taken to stem the flow of both migrants and illegal drugs crossing the border.

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M
Tourism body Destination Vancouver says Taylor Swift will bring an estimated $157 million economic impact to the city next week with the three final concert dates of the record-breaking Eras Tour. Destination Vancouver says the forecast includes $97 million in direct spending on items including accommodation, food and transport.

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief
Montreal's police chief says it's "impossible" for protest organizers to prevent people bent on violence from infiltrating demonstrations.  Fady Dagher says the organizers of Friday's anti-NATO protest in Montreal bear limited responsibility for the relatively small number of people who smashed windows during the demonstration. 

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say
The president-elect posted to Truth Social on Monday that he would sign an executive order imposing a 25 per cent tariff on all products coming in to the United States from Canada and Mexico.

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say