Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad says he has no plan for a user-pays health-care system in British Columbia, after the rival NDP released a recording of him calling the Canada Health Act "silly" for not allowing such a system. NDP Leader David Eby accused Rustad of planning "American style" user pays, saying he would let people "buy their way to the front of the line."

Rustad says no plan for user-pays health as B.C. voters break advance polling record

New area code for BC in 2025

New area code for BC in 2025
British Columbia is getting a new phone area code next year.  The 2-5-7 area code will be introduced gradually starting May 24th.

New area code for BC in 2025

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman
Police on Vancouver Island are appealing to the public for information that could help them find a woman reported missing more than two years ago. R-C-M-P say they believe Amber Manthorne's disappearance in July 2022 was the result of foul play, and it's unlikely the 40-year-old will be found alive.

Vancouver Island Police search for missing woman

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record
Leaders of British Columbia's main political parties have converged on Vancouver Island in the final stage of campaigning before the provincial election on Saturday, with record numbers of voters already casting their ballots in advance polling. Elections BC says more than 181,000 people voted on Tuesday, breaking a record set on the first day of voting last week.

Leaders converge on Vancouver Island as B.C. voters break advance polling record

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults
The incident on Sunday is captured on video, showing a man in a grey suit berating supporters of Richmond Centre candidate Wendy Yuan while they were waving signs at an intersection. The man is seen swearing at the group and telling them to "take down" the Chinese Communist Party instead of "coming over here on your … little boats."

Campaign volunteers in Richmond targeted with racist insults

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister
Canada's border guards have recovered more stolen vehicles at railyards and ports so far this year than in all of 2023.  Transport Minister Anita Anand said the Canada Border Services Agency has recovered 1,945 stolen vehicles, with the majority found in Quebec.

Border agency recovered nearly 2,000 stolen vehicles this year: transport minister