Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Tourist randomly assaulted near Canada Place

Tourist randomly assaulted near Canada Place
Vancouver police say charges have been laid after a tourist was randomly assaulted near Canada Place last Sunday.  The V-P-D say a woman visiting Vancouver was walking near Canada Place's cruise ship terminal Sunday morning when a stranger repeatedly punched and kicked her. 

Tourist randomly assaulted near Canada Place

Air India passengers get a lift from RCAF after bomb scare forces landing in Nunavut

Air India passengers get a lift from RCAF after bomb scare forces landing in Nunavut
More than 200 Air India passengers should be on the ground in Chicago this morning after their flight was diverted to Nunavut due to a bomb threat. The airline issued an update overnight via social media, thanking the Royal Canadian Air Force for helping ferry the 211passengers of Flight 127 from India to their final destination.

Air India passengers get a lift from RCAF after bomb scare forces landing in Nunavut

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver
Vancouver is planning to reduce the time it takes to get a building permit for certain multiplex applications. The city says a streamlined permit application process starting early next year will take about half the time.

Reduction in permit wait times for multiplex housing in Vancouver

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home
Surrey R-C-M-P say they're looking for three young female suspects after a woman was stabbed outside a home in Whalley. Police say the woman didn't know the suspects, who are all believed to be between the ages of 15 and 20.

Woman stabbed outside Whalley home

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto
Representatives of a British Columbia Sikh temple whose president was shot dead last year, as well as the Sikh independence group he was involved in, say their communities won't feel safe until India's consulates in Vancouver and Toronto are shut down.

Sikh groups calls for Indian consulates to be shut down in Vancouver, Toronto

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say
Police in Winnipeg say a child has died after falling from a window on the 19th floor of a building. It happened Monday in the city's downtown. The child was taken to hospital and pronounced dead.

Child dead after falling from 19th floor window in Winnipeg, police say