Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks
The national chief of the Assembly of First Nations is asking for an update from the Caring Society months after chiefs put it and a newly formed committee in charge of seeking new negotiations with Canada, and after Canada informed the assembly it was only prepared to renegotiate with First Nations in Ontario.

First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

Israel-Hamas ceasefire welcomed but protests in Canada will not stop, groups say

Israel-Hamas ceasefire welcomed but protests in Canada will not stop, groups say
While a ceasefire in the 15-month war is welcome news, "there will be no pauses, no breaks, no rests" in protests that have endured for more than a year, said Gur Tsabar, a spokesperson for the Jews Say No to Genocide coalition.

Israel-Hamas ceasefire welcomed but protests in Canada will not stop, groups say

Crash lands 2 children in hospital

Crash lands 2 children in hospital
Police in Whitehorse say two children are in hospital after a single-vehicle crash on Tuesday. R-C-M-P, the fire department, and emergency services responded to a crash involving one vehicle that hit the children while they were on bicycles.

Crash lands 2 children in hospital

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier
Walmart, Sobeys and Loblaw Companies were hit with a class-action lawsuit last week alleging they "misrepresented" the weight of meat by including the weight of packaging in prices. Walmart Canada says in an emailed statement that a third-party supplier was responsible for an "isolated incident" at the Richmond store for a two-week period last month.

Walmart Canada says underweight meat problem fixed by B.C. supplier

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires
British Columbia-based Coulson Aviation released the video of its crew "delivering a precision water drop on the Palisades Fire in California."  Coulson's helicopters as well as waterbombing planes provided by Quebec have played a high-profile role in the battle against the fires that have claimed at least 25 lives and destroyed thousands of homes.

'Water's away': How Canadian helicopters and waterbombers are helping tame L.A. fires

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector
B.C.'s Forests Minister Ravi Parmar says U.S. softwood lumber duties and president-elect Donald Trump's threatened tariffs could be "devastating" to the province's forestry sector. He says the province needs to bring a "team B.C. and a team Canada" approach to fighting the duties.

B.C. forests minister says Trump tariffs could be 'devastating' to sector