Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion
The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear an appeal from Indigenous elders who were seeking greater oversight over a university construction site in Montreal where they suspect unmarked graves of children are located. An application for leave to appeal was dismissed today by the country's highest court, which gave no reason for its decision, as is custom.

Unmarked graves: Supreme Court won't hear Mohawk Mothers appeal over McGill expansion

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions
A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time. Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

'Tears of joy' at Gaza ceasefire, but protesting groups in Canada say they won't stop

'Tears of joy' at Gaza ceasefire, but protesting groups in Canada say they won't stop
Vancouver resident Nasser Najjar said he cried tears of joy after hearing that a ceasefire had been reached in the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza on Wednesday. Najjar, who lived in Gaza from 1999 to 2015, still has family in the region where the 15-month-long conflict has killed tens of thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands.

'Tears of joy' at Gaza ceasefire, but protesting groups in Canada say they won't stop

Vancouver backyard chickens practise social distancing from wild birds amid H5N1 risk

Vancouver backyard chickens practise social distancing from wild birds amid H5N1 risk
Lumpy Eye the chicken has made plenty of friends in her East Vancouver neighbourhood over the years, said owner Duncan Martin, with passersby regularly greeting her in the yard outside their home. But now the seven-year-old Bovan Brown hen is being kept in isolation in her coop, to prevent her coming into contact with wild birds — and H5N1 avian influenza.

Vancouver backyard chickens practise social distancing from wild birds amid H5N1 risk

Trudeau names ex-premiers, business and union reps to Canada-U.S. relations council

Trudeau names ex-premiers, business and union reps to Canada-U.S. relations council
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has formed a new Canada-U.S. relations council to support the federal government as it deals with the incoming Trump administration's vow to impose tariffs. The 18 members of the council include Steve Verheul, who was Canada's chief trade negotiator during the renegotiation of NAFTA. 

Trudeau names ex-premiers, business and union reps to Canada-U.S. relations council

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid
Liberal MPs are starting to reveal which candidates they're backing in the race to replace Justin Trudeau, just as the presumed front-runners get ready to declare they're running. Health Minister Mark Holland, Liberal MPs Ben Carr, Ken McDonald and Stéphane Lauzon, and former cabinet minister Randy Boissonnault say they're supporting former finance minister Chrystia Freeland.

Liberal endorsements start to trickle in as Carney launches leadership bid