Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader
In a video posted on social media, John Rustad says everything possible needs to be done to stop drugs from coming into the province and address issues at the ports, and that a trade war could cost tens of thousands of jobs.

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters
A boat was destroyed in the waters of the Indian Arm fjord near North Vancouver's Deep Cove on Saturday afternoon after it caught fire, smouldered for over three hours and sank. A spokesperson for the Pacific region of the Fisheries Department says Canadian Coast Guard were advised of the burning boat just after noon on Jan. 18 and dispatched from the Kitsilano Base.

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he's "concerned" about a data breach involving a student information system used across Canada, and his office is seeking more information from the U.S.-based company behind the targeted software. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says his office is in touch with PowerSchool, which provides the affected platforms to schools across North America.

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports
The New York Times and Wall Street Journal say incoming U.S. president Donald Trump won't slam Canada with damaging tariffs on his inauguration day. Both U.S. newspapers report Trump will instead sign an executive order today to investigate alleged unfair trade and currency practices by Canada, Mexico and China.

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors