Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse
The building at 500 Dunsmuir St., commonly known as Dunsmuir House, was built in 1909 initially as a hotel. It has also served as barracks for sailors in the Second World War, a Salvation Army home for veterans and later social housing, but has been empty since 2013.

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed
Police in Vancouver say they've arrested a 66-year-old man for uttering threats against a gas station clerk and only later learned the suspect was a convicted murderer out on parole from a life sentence. They say the alleged threat was made to the attendant on Saturday when the man's points card wouldn't work. 

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta
Police in southern Alberta are investigating after three children were struck by a vehicle. Officers responded to a call after the children — ages 14, seven and five — were hit in a marked crosswalk in Lethbridge, Alta.

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour
A Finnish developer wants to bring a 250-room floating hotel into Vancouver's harbour. A statement from Sunborn International Holding says the proposed hotel would be 136 metres long and 19.5 metres high, spread out over six floors and connected to the Vancouver Convention Centre by a ramp from the seawall walkway.

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'
Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says B.C. is launching a registry for short-term rentals to further crack down on "speculators" operating illegally. Kahlon says all short-term rental operators on platforms such as Airbnb and Vrbo must apply for a registration number to be displayed on all online listings by May 1, and hosts who fail to comply will have their listings taken down from June 1. 

B.C. launches short-term rental registry with annual fees to rein in 'speculators'

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is
Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault says it's "deplorable" that President Donald Trump is again pulling the U.S. out of the 2015 Paris Accord. He says it's "quite ironic" that President Trump is abandoning the global environmental pact while California is experiencing one of its worst forest fire seasons ever.

Environment minister says Donald Trump pulling out of Paris pact is