Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal immigration department to cut more than 3,300 jobs, unions say

Federal immigration department to cut more than 3,300 jobs, unions say
Two federal public service unions say the Immigration Department is set to cut 3,300 jobs. The Public Service Alliance of Canada and the Canada Employment and Immigration Union say in a joint statement that the department has not said who will be affected by the cuts.

Federal immigration department to cut more than 3,300 jobs, unions say

Man facing murder charges in triple homicide in Lloydminster

Man facing murder charges in triple homicide in Lloydminster
Police were called in September to do a wellness check at a home on the Saskatchewan side of the community. They found the bodies of Brent Peters, 66, and his sons Matthew Peters, 32, and Brennan Peters, 23.

Man facing murder charges in triple homicide in Lloydminster

Grain, crop, container shipments up for Prince Rupert port

Grain, crop, container shipments up for Prince Rupert port
The Port of Prince Rupert says cargo shipments were up at its container terminal for liquefied petroleum gas and crop exports, but volume for last year was down by one per cent from 2023.  The authority says in a statement that 23.1 million tonnes of cargo moved through the port, with metallurgical coal exports falling by 29 per cent and thermal coal down by 22 per cent.

Grain, crop, container shipments up for Prince Rupert port

Gang related shooting in Delta

Gang related shooting in Delta
Police in Delta say one person has been injured in a shooting this morning that investigators suspect to be gang-related. Police say they responded shortly after seven a-m to a report of a shooting at the 81-hundred block of 112-B Street.

Gang related shooting in Delta

Donald Trump doesn't mention Canada in inaugural speech as Trudeau calls for unity

Donald Trump doesn't mention Canada in inaugural speech as Trudeau calls for unity
Trump's speech offered no clarity on the status of his threat to impose a 25 per cent across-the-board tariff on Canadian products on day one of his new administration — part of a massive agenda aimed at leading a deeply divided U.S. on a starkly different path.

Donald Trump doesn't mention Canada in inaugural speech as Trudeau calls for unity

Four cases of salmonella in BC

Four cases of salmonella in BC
The Public Health Agency of Canada says there have been four cases of salmonella in B-C linked to recalled mini pastries. The British Columbians are among 61 cases across Canada of salmonella linked to Sweet Cream brand mini pastries have been distributed at bakeries, hotels, restaurants, cafeterias, hospitals, retirement residences, and have been served at catered events.

Four cases of salmonella in BC