Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station
Police in Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a man was injured in a fire outside a SkyTrain station in the city. They say the 40-year-old man was found by a driver around 2 a.m. on Sunday outside the Main Street-Science World station.

Police investigating after man injured in fire outside Vancouver SkyTrain station

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne plans to reveal Tuesday whether he will run in the upcoming party leadership race to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Champagne is expected to share his decision during a talk at the Canadian Club in Toronto hosted by business journalist Amanda Lang, a source close to the minister said Monday.

François-Philippe Champagne to announce Tuesday if he's running for leader

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race
The Liberal party's leadership race will be monitored by Canada's elections intelligence task force for signs of foreign interference. National security adviser Nathalie Drouin says the Security and Intelligence Threats to Elections Task Force will be watching the race.

Intelligence task force to monitor Liberal leadership race

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months
A British Columbia doctor who treated a 13-year-old avian flu patient says the case has made him concerned about the potential for more human H5N1 infections. While the patient was recently discharged from hospital with her case deemed rare, the two-month ordeal is being examined to better understand the path of avian flu from wild birds and poultry to humans, who get very sick. 

B.C. doc reflects on treating teen with avian flu for two months

2 arrested in Quesnel after a home invasion early Sunday morning

2 arrested in Quesnel after a home invasion early Sunday morning
Two people have been arrested in Quesnel after a home invasion early Sunday morning.  Police say two suspects broke into a home shortly after 2 a.m., sprayed a person inside with bear spray and damaged several items inside. 

2 arrested in Quesnel after a home invasion early Sunday morning

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform
The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces.  The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform