Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hurt woman helped by North Shore Rescue

Hurt woman helped by North Shore Rescue
North Shore Rescue says its team helped a woman over the weekend who seriously injured her ankle while she was sliding down a slope on her backside. The search and rescue group says the hiker was relatively well-equipped, but her foot became caught while she was sliding down a trail on Hollyburn Mountain.

Hurt woman helped by North Shore Rescue

Hit and run in Langley

Hit and run in Langley
Mounties in Langley are asking for the public's help identifying the vehicle and driver involved in a hit-and-run that injured a pedestrian last November. Langley R-C-M-P say officers responded to a report of a pedestrian in medical distress along 16th Avenue shortly after 3:30 a-m on November 9th.

Hit and run in Langley

Youth target others with airsoft guns

Youth target others with airsoft guns
Police in Abbotsford say officers responded to two separate calls involving youth pointing B-B or airsoft guns at people Friday night. The department shared a photo on social media showing two realistic-looking weapons and two bags of pellets.

Youth target others with airsoft guns

With Conservatives promising to 'defund,' could the next election kill the CBC?

With Conservatives promising to 'defund,' could the next election kill the CBC?
In late 2023, Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge said it was time for the federal government to redefine what the CBC does and how it does it. A year later — and with a federal election expected sometime this spring — her office is promising the minister will unveil the planned changes to the public broadcaster's mandate in "due course."

With Conservatives promising to 'defund,' could the next election kill the CBC?

Minister makes first trip to Syrian border area after Assad regime ends

Minister makes first trip to Syrian border area after Assad regime ends
During the visit, Hussen announced $17.25 million in funding for humanitarian assistance including clean water and food, protection services, sanitation and health services.

Minister makes first trip to Syrian border area after Assad regime ends

Anita Anand says she will not run for Liberal party leadership or re-election

Anita Anand says she will not run for Liberal party leadership or re-election
Liberal cabinet minister Anita Anand announced Saturday that she won’t pursue a bid to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.  Breaking the news on social media, the transport and internal trade minister also said she won’t seek re-election as a member of Parliament for her Oakville, Ont., riding, a seat she has held since 2019. 

Anita Anand says she will not run for Liberal party leadership or re-election