Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Will Extend Indian Ocean Commitment To 2021, Harjit Sajjan Says

The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2017 11:41 AM
    OTTAWA — Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel for another four years, says Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
     
    He says Operation Artemis, the latest incarnation of Canada's contribution to a multinational security force in the area, will be extended until the end of April 2021.
     
    The international task force deploys ships and surveillance systems to intercept shipments of weapons and narcotics in the region.
     
    Sajjan said the extension authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to commit up to 375 personnel to the operation, send in a frigate once every two years and contribute an Aurora patrol plane once a year.
     
    Canada will earmark up to $131.4 million to support the extension.
     
    He says Canada has supported security in the area since 2001 under a number of operations and Canada just completed its third rotation in command of the maritime security task force.
     
    In the last year, this task force seized and destroyed nearly 2,700 kilograms of narcotics and more than 3,000 weapons.
     
    "The government of Canada's renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world," Sajjan said in a statement.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Shafia Brother Convicted Of Killing 4 Women Asks Top Court To Hear His Case

    Shafia Brother Convicted Of Killing 4 Women Asks Top Court To Hear His Case
    Hamed Shafia and his parents were found guilty in January 2012 of four counts of first-degree murder — killings their trial judge described as being motivated by their "twisted concept of honour."

    Shafia Brother Convicted Of Killing 4 Women Asks Top Court To Hear His Case

    Judge To Give Verdict For Winnipeg Woman Accused Of Hiding Dead Babies In Locker

    Judge To Give Verdict For Winnipeg Woman Accused Of Hiding Dead Babies In Locker
    A judge is to give his decision today in the case of a woman charged with disposing of the remains of six infants in a Winnipeg storage locker.

    Judge To Give Verdict For Winnipeg Woman Accused Of Hiding Dead Babies In Locker

    Pentagon Meeting Today: A First For Members Of Trump-Trudeau Cabinets

    WASHINGTON — Canadian Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is to hold a first meeting today with his newly sworn-in American counterpart James Mattis.

    Pentagon Meeting Today: A First For Members Of Trump-Trudeau Cabinets

    O No, Canada: Singer Flubs Anthem At Raptors Game In NYC

    O No, Canada: Singer Flubs Anthem At Raptors Game In NYC
    A Broadway performer botched the Canadian national anthem before the Toronto Raptors' game in Brooklyn on Sunday, singing lyrics that aren't in "O Canada."

    O No, Canada: Singer Flubs Anthem At Raptors Game In NYC

    Canadian Military To Become First To Issue Guidelines On Child Soldiers

    Canadian Military To Become First To Issue Guidelines On Child Soldiers
    The Canadian military is poised to become the first in the world to issue guidelines for dealing with child soldiers, as it prepares to deploy hundreds of peacekeepers to Africa.

    Canadian Military To Become First To Issue Guidelines On Child Soldiers

    Halifax Police Will Not Participate In Pride Parade Amid 'National Debate'

    Halifax Police Will Not Participate In Pride Parade Amid 'National Debate'
    A news release from Halifax Regional Police says the decision was made after several months of discussions with Halifax Pride.

    Halifax Police Will Not Participate In Pride Parade Amid 'National Debate'