Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Will Extend Indian Ocean Commitment To 2021, Harjit Sajjan Says

The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2017 11:41 AM
    OTTAWA — Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel for another four years, says Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
     
    He says Operation Artemis, the latest incarnation of Canada's contribution to a multinational security force in the area, will be extended until the end of April 2021.
     
    The international task force deploys ships and surveillance systems to intercept shipments of weapons and narcotics in the region.
     
    Sajjan said the extension authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to commit up to 375 personnel to the operation, send in a frigate once every two years and contribute an Aurora patrol plane once a year.
     
    Canada will earmark up to $131.4 million to support the extension.
     
    He says Canada has supported security in the area since 2001 under a number of operations and Canada just completed its third rotation in command of the maritime security task force.
     
    In the last year, this task force seized and destroyed nearly 2,700 kilograms of narcotics and more than 3,000 weapons.
     
    "The government of Canada's renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world," Sajjan said in a statement.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ontario Man Sues Cineplex, Alleges Staff Didn't Help As He Choked On Popcorn

    In a statement of claim, 28-year-old Chadrick John Veenhof says the incident happened at a Cineplex theatre in Kitchener, Ont., in June 2009.

    Ontario Man Sues Cineplex, Alleges Staff Didn't Help As He Choked On Popcorn

    Trump Travel Order Prompts Federal Scramble Over Report Of Revoked Nexus Cards

    Trump Travel Order Prompts Federal Scramble Over Report Of Revoked Nexus Cards
    OTTAWA — Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the government is trying to ensure Canadian dual-nationals can still use their Nexus trusted-traveller cards at the border following word that cards have been revoked.

    Trump Travel Order Prompts Federal Scramble Over Report Of Revoked Nexus Cards

    Surrey RCMP Search Warrants And Arrests Yield Street Drugs And Cash

    Surrey RCMP Search Warrants And Arrests Yield Street Drugs And Cash
    Surrey RCMP has arrested three individuals and seized thousands of dosages of street level drugs, including suspected fentanyl, and approximately $16,000 in Canadian currency as a result of a two month long drug investigation.

    Surrey RCMP Search Warrants And Arrests Yield Street Drugs And Cash

    Ont. Health Minister Says U.S. Travel Ban Impacting Kids Needing Specialized Care

    Ont. Health Minister Says U.S. Travel Ban Impacting Kids Needing Specialized Care
    TORONTO — Ontario's health minister says the province is working to determine what can be done to help children scheduled for specialized life-saving surgeries in the U.S. who are being affected by President Donald Trump's travel ban.

    Ont. Health Minister Says U.S. Travel Ban Impacting Kids Needing Specialized Care

    Former Medic Guilty Of Sex Assault, Breach Of Trust For Breast Exams On Recruits

    Former Medic Guilty Of Sex Assault, Breach Of Trust For Breast Exams On Recruits
    A former medical technician has been found guilty of one count of sexual assault and three counts of breach of trust for conducting inappropriate breast exams at several Ontario military recruiting centres.

    Former Medic Guilty Of Sex Assault, Breach Of Trust For Breast Exams On Recruits

    Imam Counts Accused As One Of The Victims Of Quebec City Mosque Attack

    Imam Counts Accused As One Of The Victims Of Quebec City Mosque Attack
    Imam Hussein Guillet says someone planted ideas in Alexandre Bissonnette's head.

    Imam Counts Accused As One Of The Victims Of Quebec City Mosque Attack