Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Will Extend Indian Ocean Commitment To 2021, Harjit Sajjan Says

The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2017 11:41 AM
    OTTAWA — Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel for another four years, says Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
     
    He says Operation Artemis, the latest incarnation of Canada's contribution to a multinational security force in the area, will be extended until the end of April 2021.
     
    The international task force deploys ships and surveillance systems to intercept shipments of weapons and narcotics in the region.
     
    Sajjan said the extension authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to commit up to 375 personnel to the operation, send in a frigate once every two years and contribute an Aurora patrol plane once a year.
     
    Canada will earmark up to $131.4 million to support the extension.
     
    He says Canada has supported security in the area since 2001 under a number of operations and Canada just completed its third rotation in command of the maritime security task force.
     
    In the last year, this task force seized and destroyed nearly 2,700 kilograms of narcotics and more than 3,000 weapons.
     
    "The government of Canada's renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world," Sajjan said in a statement.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Canadian Protesters Decry Trump's U.S. Travel Ban; Urge Trudeau Action

    Canadian Protesters Decry Trump's U.S. Travel Ban; Urge Trudeau Action
    Protesters, who also expressed sympathy for the victims of Sunday's mosque massacre in Quebec City, blocked traffic, held placards, chanted, and marched a short distance to city hall and back to the consulate as police kept an eye on them.

    Canadian Protesters Decry Trump's U.S. Travel Ban; Urge Trudeau Action

    Police Identify Man Shot, Killed At Hotel In Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

    Police Identify Man Shot, Killed At Hotel In Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
    VANCOUVER — Police have identified a man who was killed following a shooting in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

    Police Identify Man Shot, Killed At Hotel In Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

    Vancouver Father-Son Duo Build 3D Printer To Send To The Moon

    Vancouver Father-Son Duo Build 3D Printer To Send To The Moon
    VANCOUVER — For Alex and Sergei Dobrianski, the building blocks of an upcoming revolution in the space industry are found in moon dust.

    Vancouver Father-Son Duo Build 3D Printer To Send To The Moon

    Don't Call Us Junkies Or Addicts: People Who Use Illicit Drugs Say Lingo Matters

     Calling someone a junkie was once the norm, but many people who use illicit drugs and those who treat them say the word addict is just as stigmatizing

    Don't Call Us Junkies Or Addicts: People Who Use Illicit Drugs Say Lingo Matters

    $250,000 Task Force Set Up By UBC To Fight Trump Travel Ban

    $250,000 Task Force Set Up By UBC To Fight Trump Travel Ban
    The University of British Columbia is setting up a task force in response to an American travel ban that prevents residents of seven countries from entering the United States for 90 days.

    $250,000 Task Force Set Up By UBC To Fight Trump Travel Ban

    B.C. Premier Expresses Sadness At Mosque Attack As Violation Of Sanctuary

    B.C. Premier Expresses Sadness At Mosque Attack As Violation Of Sanctuary
    B.C. Premier Christy Clark expressed her shock and sadness Monday after a terrorist attack at a mosque in Quebec City.

    B.C. Premier Expresses Sadness At Mosque Attack As Violation Of Sanctuary