Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Will Extend Indian Ocean Commitment To 2021, Harjit Sajjan Says

The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2017 11:41 AM
    OTTAWA — Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel for another four years, says Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
     
    He says Operation Artemis, the latest incarnation of Canada's contribution to a multinational security force in the area, will be extended until the end of April 2021.
     
    The international task force deploys ships and surveillance systems to intercept shipments of weapons and narcotics in the region.
     
    Sajjan said the extension authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to commit up to 375 personnel to the operation, send in a frigate once every two years and contribute an Aurora patrol plane once a year.
     
    Canada will earmark up to $131.4 million to support the extension.
     
    He says Canada has supported security in the area since 2001 under a number of operations and Canada just completed its third rotation in command of the maritime security task force.
     
    In the last year, this task force seized and destroyed nearly 2,700 kilograms of narcotics and more than 3,000 weapons.
     
    "The government of Canada's renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world," Sajjan said in a statement.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    No Foreign Buyers Tax For People With Work Permit: B.C. Premier

    Christy Clark says the levy will be lifted for those who have a work permit and pay taxes in B.C., in order to encourage more people to come to the province.

    No Foreign Buyers Tax For People With Work Permit: B.C. Premier

    University Student Alexandre Bissonnette Is Sole Suspect In Quebec City Mosque Massacre

    University Student Alexandre Bissonnette Is Sole Suspect In Quebec City Mosque Massacre
    The 27-year-old entered the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec and opened fire with a rifle, shooting members of the mosque as they prayed, police and witnesses say.

    University Student Alexandre Bissonnette Is Sole Suspect In Quebec City Mosque Massacre

    PICS: Indian Transgender Woman Breaks Stereotypes By Tying The Knot With Man In Bhubaneswar

    PICS: Indian Transgender Woman Breaks Stereotypes By Tying The Knot With Man In Bhubaneswar
    "It will give a message to the society and the entire nation that transgender can also get married."

    PICS: Indian Transgender Woman Breaks Stereotypes By Tying The Knot With Man In Bhubaneswar

    B.C. Judge Sentences Two Men Who Attacked RCMP Officer To House Arrest

     Two men who attacked a Mountie during a traffic stop and left him unconscious on the side of a rural road near Pritchard, B.C., won't be going to jail.

    B.C. Judge Sentences Two Men Who Attacked RCMP Officer To House Arrest

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident
    Surrey RCMP have released a composite sketch of a man in a maroon-coloured van, which they believe is involved in in two suspicious incidents involving women in Surrey.

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself
    Saanich police say a 37-year-old man from Esquimalt, B.C., was parked at an arena and returned to find a vehicle parked close to his.

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself