Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada
Trump signed an executive order Thursday delaying tariffs on goods that meet the rules-of-origin requirements under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement, often referred to as CUSMA, and lowering levies on potash to 10 per cent, until April 2.

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools
Dallas Brodie didn't name anyone, but appeared to single out the Conservatives' house leader, A'aliya Warbus, by criticizing an Indigenous woman who sided with the governing NDP to criticize Brodie. Warbus is the only Indigenous woman in the Opposition ranks

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre
In a new report, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security says it expects individuals affiliated with the Chinese government will continue to target diaspora communities, pushing narratives favourable to Beijing's interests on social media platforms. Cybercriminals are also likely to take advantage of election-related opportunities to perpetrate scams, says the centre, which is an arm of Canada's cyberspy agency, the Communications Security Establishment. 

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement
British Columbia Attorney General Niki Sharma says B.C.'s share of a landmark settlement for health damages from the big tobacco firms will be about $3.7 billion. It's part of a $32.5-billion Canadian settlement between JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. and their creditors after more than five years of negotiations.

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response
British Columbia will introduce legislation in the coming days that would give it the ability to levy fees on commercial trucks travelling from the United States through the province to Alaska, Premier David Eby said.  The move against Alaska-bound trucks is part of a series of responses the province is planning after the "unprecedented attack" from the United States that put a 25 per cent tariff on many Canadian goods.

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc says Canada has suspended a second wave of retaliatory tariffs after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order to pause some duties.

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause