Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government
The British Columbia and federal governments have signed a four-year, $670-million pharmacare agreement, giving universal access to contraceptive and diabetes medications. The plan will support nearly 550,000 B.C. residents with diabetes and provide 1.3 million people with a range of contraceptives.

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks
Another earthquake has shaken Victoria, becoming at least the third felt in British Columbia's capital in less than two weeks. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.9 earthquake occurred about 58 kilometres south of Victoria, at 4:18 p.m. on Wednesday.

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the government is making contingency plans to reduce the province's reliance on electricity from the United States after the start of the continental trade war. The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack
RCMP in Chilliwack say a three-year-old child has died in a "tragic motor vehicle collision." Police say the child was a pedestrian at the intersection of Vedder and Petewawa roads when he or she was hit on Wednesday. 

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges
Police in Vancouver say an officer on patrol was slashed on the leg with an "edged weapon" in the city's Downtown Eastside. A statement from the Vancouver Police Department says the officer was on foot patrol with his partner near East Hastings and Main streets just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday when he was approached from behind by a suspect and injured.

Vancouver police say officer slashed while on patrol, man faces multiple charges

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly's office confirms she has briefed Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney on President Donald Trump’s tariffs days ahead of Sunday's leadership vote this week. Carney is the presumed front-runner for the party's leadership and could become prime minister as early as next week — which would make Trump's growing trade war with Canada his problem to sort out.

Joly told Liberals she briefed Carney on Trump tariffs