Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll
A new poll suggests the trade war with the United States is now the biggest source of political concern for Canadians, knocking inflation out of the top spot. Leger says 28 per cent of Canadians believe dealing with President Donald Trump's tariffs and U.S. aggression is the most important challenge facing Canada today.

Trump, tariffs overtake inflation as top concern for Canadians in new poll

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs
The British Columbia government released a budget Tuesday with Finance Minister Brenda Bailey saying it defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war triggered by U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs. Here's what people are saying about the B.C. government's budget: 

What people have to say about B.C.'s budget as the U.S. applies tariffs

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville
Police say it was "miraculous" that no one was killed in a head-on collision that destroyed two vehicles near Parksville, B.C. A statement from B.C. Highway Patrol says three people, including a child, were taken to hospital after the crash Monday on Highway 19.

Head-on crash injures child, two adults near Parksville

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs
Brenda Bailey is expected to speak today at an event hosted by the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, her first public appearance after tabling the budget on the same day U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent on Canadian goods.

B.C. finance minister to speak to business group a day after budget amid tariffs

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues
Canada's industry minister is looking to block what he calls "predatory investment behaviour" as a trade war with the United States continues. François-Philippe Champagne warned Wednesday that Canadian businesses could be at risk due to the sweeping tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Ottawa moves to block 'predatory' investments as tariff war continues

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
Canada has responded with 25 per cent retaliatory tariffs on $30 billion worth of American products, and will expand them to cover another $125 billion in U.S. goods in 21 days.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico