Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs
Travel agency Flight Centre Travel Group Canada says leisure bookings to American cities dropped 40 per cent in February from the same month in 2024, while one in five customers cancelled their trips to the U.S. over the past three months.

Canadians cancel U.S. travel plans amid anger over tariffs

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race
Former B.C. finance minister Mike de Jong says he's been told by the Conservative Party of Canada that he is no longer in the running to be a candidate for the party in the next federal election. He says he found it "mystifying" that the party won't allow him to contest the nomination in the riding of Abbotsford-South Langley after campaigning for the spot for almost a year. 

Former B.C. MLA Mike de Jong ousted from federal Conservative nomination race

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect
In downtown Vancouver, Sandra Mori walked out of a provincial liquor store on Tuesday with B.C. wine, and raised her elbow to the sky. From coast to coast, Canadians are remaining defiant in the face of punishing U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods, promising to use their wallets to fight the trade war launched on Tuesday by President Donald Trump.

'Elbows up': Canadians angry, defiant as U.S. tariffs take effect

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies
British Columbia’s finance minister is forecasting another record deficit in a budget she says defends the province from an unfolding North American trade war that risks tens of thousands of jobs and tens of billions in economic losses for B.C. Brenda Bailey says “the impact will be severe” but it’s not the time to retreat by cutting spending on public services.

B.C. budget brings record deficit, billions in trade-war contingencies

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting
British Columbia's Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed to Surrey after a fatal "targeted, brazen shooting" earlier this week. Police say officers with the Surrey Police Service responded to reports of a shooting near the 7900 block of 120 Street around 5:25 p.m. Monday and found the driver of a vehicle suffering from life-threatening injuries.

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released
British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released