Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating
BC's police watchdog is investigating the death of a man who was shot by an officer in Revelstoke. R-C-M-P say it happened Sunday night after they responded to a call about a stolen vehicle.  

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.
The BC Centre for Disease Control has detected Canada's first known case of a new COVID-19 variant that has swiftly circled the globe and is being monitored by the World Health Organization. The centre said the BA. 2.86 variant of the Omicron strain was identified in a person from the Fraser Health region who hadn't recently been outside the province.

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre
The P-N-E Amphitheatre is shutting its doors after almost 60 years in operation, making way for the construction of a new facility scheduled to open in 2026. A statement from the Pacific National Exhibition says the last show at the venue will be a Blue Rodeo concert on Labour Day, with one show scheduled for each night this week leading up to September 4.

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre

Housing market remains pricey

Housing market remains pricey
The B-C Real Estate Association says residential property prices in the province have risen despite a drop in sales this year, owing to low inventory on the market. The B-C-R-E-A says in its third quarter forecast that home sales in the province through Multiple Listing Service are expected to fall by 2.8 per cent this year to just over 78-thousand units.

Housing market remains pricey

B.C. on pace for deadliest year in drug crisis as July brings another 198 deaths

B.C. on pace for deadliest year in drug crisis as July brings another 198 deaths
British Columbia is on pace for the deadliest year in its unregulated toxic-drug crisis, with the BC Coroners Service saying another 198 deaths were reported in July. It says there have been at least 1,455 deaths in the first seven months of 2023, the most ever recorded.  

B.C. on pace for deadliest year in drug crisis as July brings another 198 deaths

Man dies in 'gang-related' shooting in Mission

Man dies in 'gang-related' shooting in Mission
Homicide investigators say the victim of what they suspect was a targeted gang shooting in Mission, B.C., has died of his injuries. The Independent Homicide Investigation Team says the 45-year-old man was found wounded late Monday at Mission's Laminman Avenue after reports of gunfire.

Man dies in 'gang-related' shooting in Mission