Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in the Okanagan in the BC Interior to meet with firefighters, volunteers, and officials involved in the region's wildfire fight. Trudeau's visit comes after the last travel restriction of the Okanagan was lifted, alongside all previous evacuation orders within the city of Kelowna, with wildfires diminishing since after recent rainfall. 

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area

Home invasion in Fort Nelson

Home invasion in Fort Nelson
A 36-year-old man is in custody after an alleged home invasion in Fort Nelson left a homeowner with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Mounties say they received reports of the incident on Wednesday night, when the attacker reportedly entered a home on Boundary Road and took keys from a rack.

Home invasion in Fort Nelson

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for additional victims and video evidence after a man damaged a number of parked vehicles in the Maillardville neighbourhood. Police say the male suspect was arrested Tuesday night after reports surfaced of someone damaging parked cars between 10 p-m and 11:30 p-m.

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap
Protesters have tried to bypass an RCMP blockade on the Trans-Canada Highway in British Columbia's Shuswap region, amid tensions over the refusal of some residents to obey wildfire evacuation orders. Live social media videos of the incident posted Wednesday evening show about 20 protesters confronting a blockade of police cars near the lakeside community of Sorrento.

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography
A Coquitlam man has been sentenced to 13 months in jail after being convicted of child pornography charges. Police say 39-year-old Christopher Thomas Smith was convicted earlier this week for publishing, distributing and possessing the material.

Coquitlam man convicted for child pornography

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial
The girl's body was found in Burnaby's Central Park in the early hours of July 19, 2017, just hours after her mother reported her missing. The woman repeatedly wept at the mention of the girl's name during the trial of Ibrahim Ali on Wednesday.  

Chinese mother of teenage girl found dead in B.C. tearfully testifies at murder trial