Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2026 09:28 AM
  • Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Laboratory testing has confirmed the presumptive positive case of the Andes strain of hantavirus reported in British Columbia

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the results Sunday in a resident of the Yukon who had been on the MV Hondius cruise ship where there was an outbreak.

The agency said samples were sent to its national laboratory in Winnipeg for confirmatory testing, after B.C. health officials announced the presumptive positive test on Saturday.

One person's sample was confirmed positive, while their travelling partner's test was confirmed negative

"There have been no further cases identified at this time. All high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be monitored closely by local public health," a statement from the agency said.

B.C.'s provincial health officer announced Saturday that one of the four Canadians who was isolating on Vancouver Island had received a "presumptive positive" test.

Dr. Bonnie Henry told a news conference that the person was part of a couple from the Yukon who were isolating and developed mild symptoms on Thursday, including a fever and a headache.

The public health agency said it has provided the information about the positive case, which is the first in a Canadian, to the World Health Organization. 

"All confirmed cases to date have been passengers or crew on the MV Hondius cruise ship," the statement said. "Given the severity of this virus, we are taking a precautionary approach to ensure Canadians are protected."

Dr. Lynora Saxinger, an infectious disease expert at the University of Alberta, said the risk from the hantavirus outbreak on the ship continues to be low for the general public even after the confirmed case. 

The Canadian who is sick was on the ship where the initial outbreak happened, she said, and tested positive during the incubation period.

"What would worry me most, looking at any kind of an outbreak situation, is if we start to see a second or third generation of transmission away from the people who were exposed to the case that obviously had a high viral load on the ship," she said.

"Or if there was any kind of unlinked transmission, so a new case popped up and you didn't know where they'd gotten it."

A total of four people were flown to Vancouver Island after being on the ship and had been isolating when the person who has now tested positive began displaying symptoms.

B.C. health officials said Saturday that three of the four are now being cared for in hospitals while the fourth person continues to isolate at home. 

They have been identified as the couple in their 70s from the Yukon, a person in their 70s from Vancouver Island, and a person from B.C. in their 50s who lives abroad.

Saxinger said being elderly puts someone at higher risk of severe outcomes from the illness.

She said the group was transferred from the ship in a medically secure way and then were handled appropriately when they landed.

"And so I don't think that it really changes the risk equation for anybody else," she said.

So far, 12 worldwide cases of hantavirus have been linked to the cruise ship, including the one Canadian. 

On Thursday, Canada's chief public health officer said 26 people from across the country who were considered low risk were asked to monitor for symptoms, while another nine, including the couple, were classified as high risk. 

Those high-risk people in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. were asked to isolate, and were being monitored. 

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Misper Apawu

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says one consular officer has arrived in the Canary Islands, where four Canadians on a cruise ship that was hit with a hantavirus outbreak are set to arrive Sunday morning.

Canadian official arrives in Tenerife ahead of hantavirus cruise ship: Anand

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools
Multiple post-secondary institutions across Canada say they've been impacted by a cyberattack targeting an education system used by thousands of schools globally.

Mass cybersecurity breach of learning platform hits Canadian post-secondary schools

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12
The City of Surrey will officially launch its Surrey Soccer Fan Zones with a free opening celebration on June 12 at Civic Plaza, where fans can gather to watch Canada’s first match of the FIFA World Cup 26™ on the big screen. In honour of this once-in-a-lifetime moment, the first 250 fans will receive a $10 coupon redeemable at all food and beverage vendors onsite, along with additional giveaways.

Surrey Soccer Fan Zones kick off with opening celebration on June 12

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly
The office of the West Bengal Governor, R. B. Ravi, on Thursday announced the dissolution of the state Legislative Assembly amid the announcement of the results of the recently concluded West Bengal Assembly polls on May 4, establishing BJP’s thumping two-thirds majority.

Bengal Guv’s office announces dissolution of Legislative Assembly

Finance Canada faces large backlog of requests for tariff relief: documents

Finance Canada faces large backlog of requests for tariff relief: documents
The federal government granted more than 200 requests for relief from having to pay counter-tariffs on imports from the United States, but faces a backlog of more than 800 requests awaiting decision.

Finance Canada faces large backlog of requests for tariff relief: documents

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation
A 27-year-old man has been charged following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into a shooting at a Surrey residence earlier this year.

Man Charged Following Surrey Shooting Investigation