Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child
A statement from Vancouver police says the three-year-old and his mother were found near Calgary early Tuesday. Police say the boy is now receiving care and his mother has been arrested.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser
A B.C. Supreme Court jury convicted Aydin Coban last month of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect
At approximately 3:54 pm this afternoon, Surrey RCMP received a report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75a avenue. Upon arrival, police found the residence fully engulfed, and firefighters were hard at work trying to contain the fire. Police and fire crews are on scene. It is expected that traffic in the area will be disrupted for some time.

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital
When police arrived they confirmed the man, a 51 year old Maple Ridge resident, was suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries. The house remains secured by police while they execute a search warrant.  

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program
The government plans to offer cheques of up to $650 to qualifying low- and middle-income families with children under the age of 12 to help pay for their dental needs. Qualifying families will have to attest that they don't have private insurance, that they have out-of-pocket dental expenses and that they will keep their receipts.

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program