Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert
Police say fights broke out inside and outside the PNE Amphitheatre following the sudden cancellation of the headline act in the final hours of the two-day BreakOut Festival. The police statement says hostile concertgoers also caused significant property damage to the amphitheatre, other PNE grounds and the surrounding neighbourhood before order was restored.

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting
At approximately 4:30pm, on Sunday, Surrey RCMP responded to a report of shots fired in the 12300 block of 68thavenue. Responding officers attended and found shots fired into a residence and confirmed there were no injuries.

Surrey residence riddled with bullet holes after Sunday morning shooting

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal
The Finance Ministry says the deal is between the Public School Employers' Association and school presidents' councils representing 57 locals of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.  

B.C. school support staff have tentative deal

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment
VPD patrol officers launched a criminal investigation earlier this week after receiving information illicit drugs and weapons were being stored inside a tent near Main and Hastings. 5 people were arrested. The investigation remains ongoing.

VPD seizes cache of weapons from Hastings Street tent encampment

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later
A Parole Board of Canada decision says 40-year-old Kerry Sim, who was formerly known as Kelly Ellard, has been authorized to remain on day parole but with numerous conditions. Sim was 15 years old when she and a group of teenagers swarmed and beat Virk, and her trial heard she and a co-accused later followed the 14-year-old girl to continue the beating and drown her in the Gorge waterway.  

Parole extended for Victoria killer 25 years later

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech
Horgan told local elected leaders at the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention that he wasn't there to make splashy funding announcements, which he called lolly, but rather to start or continue collaborative initiatives aimed at bringing results. 

B.C. premier stresses more collaboration in speech