Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadians turn their backs on U.S. travel, as return trips plunge: StatCan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Apr, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Canadians turn their backs on U.S. travel, as return trips plunge: StatCan

Canadian visits to the United States plummeted last month amid anger over tariffs and annexation threats from its president, on top of growing fears about treatment at the border.

In March, the number of Canadians returning home by car from the U.S. fell nearly 32 per cent compared to March 2024, the third consecutive month of year-over-year declines and the steepest plunge since the pandemic, according to Statistics Canada.

Return trips by air from the U.S. fell 13.5 per cent year-over-year.

Backlash to tariffs both threatened and real by Donald Trump have prompted many Canadians to turn their backs onstateside excursions, as have belittling — or menacing — comments from the American president about Canada as a potential "51st state."

“There’s a lot of resentment, a lot of anger,” said Martin Firestone, president of Toronto-based insurance firm TravelSecure Inc., in a recent interview.

Flight Centre Travel Group Canada spokeswoman Amra Durakovic has said of the drop-off in visits: “It definitely reflects the time right now, and the sentiment of Canadians.”

Reports of foreigners being sent to detention or processing centres for more than seven days, including Canadian Jasmine Mooney as well as a pair of German tourists and a backpacker from Wales, have sent shivers north of the border, chilling some Canadians' urge to head down south.

“Even snowbird travellers are going to be treated like aliens,” said Firestone, referring to stricter registration rules for Canadians who stay in the U.S. for more than 30 days. Those new rules take effect Friday.

Last week, Canada updated its advisory to warn residents travelling to the U.S. they may face scrutiny from border guards and the possibility of detention if denied entry.

But Mike Niezgoda, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection in New York state, said there is no cause for alarm.

“It's business as usual here," he said in an interview Thursday. "There’s no difference ... As long as you've got your documents, you're fine.”

Niezgoda said Canada's currency may help explain the thinner cross-border traffic.

“My friends in Fort Erie, they’re going, 'I literally can’t go to the mall because our dollar is just not that valuable at this point,'" he said.

The loonie has hovered around 70 cents US for the past few months. But it was in similar territory in December — before the tariff rhetoric ratcheted up — and Canadians took seven per cent more car trips year-over-year to the U.S. that month, StatCan data suggests.

Americans may not be motivated by the greater mileage theirgreenbacks get them up north. The number of car trips to Canada by U.S. residents in March fell nearly 11 per cent from a year earlier, the second straight month of year-over-year declines.

Meanwhile, Canadians are warming to regions beyond America.

Return trips from countries other than the U.S. increased about nine per cent year-over-year last month.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 10, 2025.

MORE National ARTICLES

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks
Three national Indigenous leaders say Indigenous Peoples should be at the centre of any discussions on how the country should respond to incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs and Canada's territorial sovereignty. National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed and Métis National Council President Victoria Pruden made that pitch during a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday morning.

Indigenous leaders, barred from premiers meeting, want in on Canada-U.S. talks

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors
Three men from Port Alberni have been charged with sexual offences on minors, including trafficking of youth under 18 years old.  RCMP say its general investigations unit started looking into the allegations in 2020 and charges were laid last week. 

Three Port Alberni men face charges of sex offences, trafficking of minors

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast
The federal government is providing $117 million to help solve what it describes as the "heightening water crisis" due to drought on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, where the Sechelt area has been hit especially hard.

Ottawa provides $117M for drought resilience on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP
R-C-M-P officers in the central Okanagan will soon start wearing body cameras. The acting officer in charge of the detachment based in Kelowna says they are among the first in B-C to deploy the equipment that will be the national standard

Bodywork cameras for Okanagan RCMP

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet
The BC government has released Premier David Eby's mandate letters for his new cabinet, outlining priorities for each ministry. Almost every minister has instructions to grow the economy and "reduce costs for families."

Province releases mandate letters for cabinet

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report
The federal government spent more on contracted information technology services in four federal departments in 2022-23 than it would have if the work had been done by public servants, the parliamentary budget officer found in a new analysis. A report from the PBO published Thursday said the federal government spent $18.6 billion on professional and special services in 2022-23, with $2.6 billion of that money going to IT.

Federal IT contracting cost more than in-house services: PBO report