Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Carney's win kills Liberals' much-delayed plan to change capital gains tax

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:37 AM
  • Carney's win kills Liberals' much-delayed plan to change capital gains tax

Mark Carney's victory in the Liberal leadership race puts the final nail in the coffin of Ottawa's controversial plan to hike the inclusion rate on capital gains.

When they tabled their budget last spring, the federal Liberals presented the plan to change capital gains as a way to get wealthy Canadians and corporations to pay more — but the plan has faced a series of delays ever since.

Tax expert Jamie Golombek of CIBC says the capital gains changes are still causing "confusion" during this tax season, even though the higher inclusion rate won't be in play.

Carney confirmed in his victory speech on Sunday that he would kill the planned capital gains hike.

The new rules would have seen Canadians pay more tax on capital gains earned over $250,000 in a year, while businesses would have paid the higher amount on all capital gains.

Tech leaders argue the capital gains hike discouraged entrepreneurs from taking risks and building their businesses in Canada.

Council of Canadian Innovators CEO Benjamin Bergen says the rollback of the capital gains change is a good move, but the damage has been done to Canada's reputation in the tech sector.

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Calgary teacher accused of sexually assaulting students in 1990s

Former Calgary teacher accused of sexually assaulting students in 1990s
A former Calgary teacher has been charged with sexually assaulting two students in the 1990s. Police say they were made aware of the allegations last year when the male complainants came forward.

Former Calgary teacher accused of sexually assaulting students in 1990s

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone
A Realtor charged with interfering with British Columbia wildfire-fighting operations in 2023 says he made a mistake by launching a drone on Okanagan Lake to get a photo of a burnt-out hotel. But Derek Leippi of Kelowna, B.C., says he was unaware firefighters were still at work in the area, 10 days after the McDougall Creek wildfire caused widespread devastation and destroyed hundreds of homes. 

B.C. Realtor facing wildfire interference charge says he made mistake by flying drone

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators
BC's Institute of Technology is getting two state-of-the-art flight simulators at its Richmond campus. They come from Canadian aviation simulator manufacturer Flightdeck Solutions.

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers
British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors. Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities