Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Carney's win kills Liberals' much-delayed plan to change capital gains tax

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:37 AM
  • Carney's win kills Liberals' much-delayed plan to change capital gains tax

Mark Carney's victory in the Liberal leadership race puts the final nail in the coffin of Ottawa's controversial plan to hike the inclusion rate on capital gains.

When they tabled their budget last spring, the federal Liberals presented the plan to change capital gains as a way to get wealthy Canadians and corporations to pay more — but the plan has faced a series of delays ever since.

Tax expert Jamie Golombek of CIBC says the capital gains changes are still causing "confusion" during this tax season, even though the higher inclusion rate won't be in play.

Carney confirmed in his victory speech on Sunday that he would kill the planned capital gains hike.

The new rules would have seen Canadians pay more tax on capital gains earned over $250,000 in a year, while businesses would have paid the higher amount on all capital gains.

Tech leaders argue the capital gains hike discouraged entrepreneurs from taking risks and building their businesses in Canada.

Council of Canadian Innovators CEO Benjamin Bergen says the rollback of the capital gains change is a good move, but the damage has been done to Canada's reputation in the tech sector.

MORE National ARTICLES

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election
Another member of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's front bench has decided to step away from federal politics at the next election. Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says his name will not be on the ballot when the next election is held, though he says he will remain a dedicated member of the Liberal party.

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit
Staff at the World Health Organization are "devastated" by President Donald Trump's executive order to pull the U.S. out of the agency, a Canadian global health specialist says. Dr. Madhukar Pai, the Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, is at the WHO headquarters in Geneva this week for meetings about tuberculosis and was there at the time Trump signed the order Monday.  

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric
Refugee advocacy groups are pushing back as the federal immigration minister says Ottawa still regards the U.S. as a safe country for transgender refugees under President Donald Trump. Trump signed executive orders on the first day of his new term to make recognizing gender based on biological characteristics U.S. government policy, and to pause the refugee program.

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024
Health authorities in British Columbia say nearly 500 people in the province received a life-saving organ transplant last year. The Provincial Health Services Authority, BC Transplant and the Ministry of Health say in a joint news release that 481 transplants in 2024 came from more than 200 donors.

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat
Canada's premiers are meeting virtually with the prime minister today to talk about Donald Trump's early moves as president and the looming threat of tariffs. The first ministers have committed to weekly meetings now that Trump has been installed in the White House.

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.
Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports would be a "deliberate economic attack" on B.C. families and people should think carefully about spending money in a country that wants to do them economic harm, Eby said during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.