Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

CERB recipients set to get debt notices

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2021 04:29 PM
  • CERB recipients set to get debt notices

OTTAWA - Some Canadians who received a pandemic jobless benefit are set to receive notices that they have to repay some of the aid they received last year.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit was rolled out at the onset of the pandemic during a historic drop in the labour market — three million jobs lost and two million people with hours cut.The government sent $2,000 payments to some recipients who applied through Service Canada as an advance on the first four weeks to help households who saw sudden loss of earnings.

The idea was to reconcile the payment at some point during the time CERB was available, which is why many who got the advance saw a break in benefits during the summer of 2020.

The government now says there are still recipients who owe some or all of the $2,000, specifically those who were not entitled to the aid or didn't collect CERB for at least 20 weeks.

Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough says anyone who needs it will get a flexible repayment schedule and there will be no penalties or interest charged on the overpayment.

"Canadians will not be put into financial hardship by having to repay emergency benefits they received," Qualtrough says in a statement.

Those who owe money will get a notice from Service Canada outlining how much they owe, the process to repay, and how they can appeal the decision.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Clean energy centre launched in British Columbia

Clean energy centre launched in British Columbia
Premier John Horgan says each of them will contribute seed money of $35 million to stimulate other investment from the private sector on technologies like carbon capture, the use of low-carbon hydrogen and battery technology. 

Clean energy centre launched in British Columbia

45 COVID19 cases for Friday

45 COVID19 cases for Friday
80.6% (3,485,949) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 53.2% (2,301,322) received their second dose.

45 COVID19 cases for Friday

Cleanup begins after Barrie twister

Cleanup begins after Barrie twister
Premier Doug Ford toured the south Barrie neighbourhood where the tornado touched down and pledged to "step up" if insurance companies didn't cover the costs of repairs.

Cleanup begins after Barrie twister

VPD looking for two men wanted Canada-wide in relation to Metro Vancouver gang conflict

VPD looking for two men wanted Canada-wide in relation to Metro Vancouver gang conflict
Moeen Khan, 25, is South Asian, five feet eight inches and about 180 pounds. He has short black hair and a black beard. He has “my brother’s keeper” tattooed across his chest.

VPD looking for two men wanted Canada-wide in relation to Metro Vancouver gang conflict

Delta looming as Canada muses about opening border

Delta looming as Canada muses about opening border
U.S. health officials issued more ominous warnings about COVID-19's dangerous Delta cousin Friday just as Canada finally started floating the prospect of letting fully vaccinated American visitors back into the country as early as mid-August.

Delta looming as Canada muses about opening border

All hands on deck for wildfire fight: B.C. premier

All hands on deck for wildfire fight: B.C. premier
British Columbia Premier John Horgan says all hands are on deck in the wildfire fight and declaring a provincial state of emergency would have few advantages.

All hands on deck for wildfire fight: B.C. premier