Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

CERB recipients set to get debt notices

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2021 04:29 PM
  • CERB recipients set to get debt notices

OTTAWA - Some Canadians who received a pandemic jobless benefit are set to receive notices that they have to repay some of the aid they received last year.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit was rolled out at the onset of the pandemic during a historic drop in the labour market — three million jobs lost and two million people with hours cut.The government sent $2,000 payments to some recipients who applied through Service Canada as an advance on the first four weeks to help households who saw sudden loss of earnings.

The idea was to reconcile the payment at some point during the time CERB was available, which is why many who got the advance saw a break in benefits during the summer of 2020.

The government now says there are still recipients who owe some or all of the $2,000, specifically those who were not entitled to the aid or didn't collect CERB for at least 20 weeks.

Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough says anyone who needs it will get a flexible repayment schedule and there will be no penalties or interest charged on the overpayment.

"Canadians will not be put into financial hardship by having to repay emergency benefits they received," Qualtrough says in a statement.

Those who owe money will get a notice from Service Canada outlining how much they owe, the process to repay, and how they can appeal the decision.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1
The federal government says cruise ships will be allowed back in Canadian waters in November, but they must follow public health requirements. Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says the prohibition on cruise ships because of COVID-19 will be lifted Nov. 1.

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place
Since then, a video has emerged of a protestor yelling what appear to be racially motivated comments and accusations at a staff member who asked him to leave the property.

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged
Retired general Jonathan Vance, former chief of the defence staff, has been charged with obstruction of justice related to an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack
The statement says one of the animals was found close to the site where the child was bitten on the head and neck at around dusk on Monday.

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says
Prof. Sarah Beaulieu of the University of the Fraser Valley says the search has covered less than a hectare and there is another 65 hectares to search. Beaulieu says the investigation also has evidence from those who were as young as six at the time being woken in the night to dig graves.

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak
In a rare departure from his usual deference to powerful member countries, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said getting access to raw data had been a challenge for the international team that traveled to China earlier this year to investigate the source of COVID-19. The first human cases were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

WHO chief says it was 'premature' to rule out COVID lab leak