Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board
The Transportation Safety Board says a plane that crashed last year in Campbell River, B.C., was modified improperly after getting flight permits. The board's report on the September 2023 crash says the plane took off from Campbell River Airport with two pilots aboard who were involved in the development of a prototype aircraft with Sealand Aviation Ltd.

Plane modifications not properly recorded before B.C. crash: Safety board

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond
Mounties in Chilliwack say a four-year-old girl has drowned in a pond at a leisure centre. Police say they received a report of the drowning at the water park of the Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre Monday night. 

Four-year-old girl drowns in Chilliwack pond

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton
A landslide has forced the closure of a large stretch of Highway 99 north of Pemberton. Drive BC, the provincial travel information site, says the highway is closed in both directions between Rancheree Road and Seton Lake Road for more than 80 kilometres due to the slide.

Landslide shuts down Highway 99 between Lillooet and Pemberton

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire
Alberta's minister of public safety said bus tours of the community that were scheduled to begin Sunday were postponed 24 hours because of the death over the weekend of a firefighter in Jasper National Park. Mike Ellis said in a social media post that the decision was made out of respect for the family, crew and all those impacted by the tragedy.

Firefighter's death delays tours for Jasper residents in zone destroyed by wildfire

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and her G7 counterparts have issued a joint statement calling for a de-escalation of tensions in the Middle East. The foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States issued the statement, along with the High Representative of the European Union.

G7 foreign ministers say 'no country stands to gain' from rising Middle East tensions

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada
Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says Canadians have a right to know how a man with links to a foreign terror group evaded Canada's screening process to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen. He is demanding that the House of Commons recall its public safety committee to dig into the situation, calling on the Bloc Québécois and NDP to support that request.

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada