Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

New housing to be expedited

New housing to be expedited
18 BC communities are among 30 across Canada to reach agreements with the federal government to fast-track the construction of new housing. Ottawa is providing 68 million dollars to support the plans.

New housing to be expedited

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes
Wildfire evacuees from Jasper, Alta., whose homes were destroyed or damaged last week, were able to start registering online Friday for bus tours of the burned townsite. However, when the tours would take place was still undecided.

Jasper bus tour registration open, limited to evacuees with damaged homes

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister
The minister said there's no timeline on when the water will start flowing, and "current modelling" shows that overtopping of the dam is more likely than a sudden break. They estimate it will take 12 to 24 hours for water and debris from the dam to reach Hope, B.C., about 500 kilometres south of the massive landslide.

Water behind B.C. landslide is more likely to move over top than burst: minister

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are warning the public and appealing for information after what they describe as a "brazen" sexual assault at a community centre. The R-C-M-P say they responded to the report on Wednesday morning at the Grandview Heights Aquatic Centre.

Brazen sexual assault in Surrey

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns
Police in Metro Vancouver say they have seized several firearms after a video appeared online showing a group of people dancing with guns. Surrey R-C-M-P say they became aware of the video yesterday and they were able to confirm the address of the property where it was allegedly filmed. 

Firearms seizure after video surfaces of people dancing with guns

Homicide in Langley

Homicide in Langley
Mounties in Langley say one man is dead and another is recovering in hospital after an overnight shooting that's believed to be an isolated incident. R-C-M-P say they received a report of gunshots in area along 202 Street near 72 Avenue just after midnight.

Homicide in Langley