Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland
A statement from B.C.'s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the investigation began in Langley in December 2022 and expanded as investigators determined the suspects were connected to "gang and organized crime activity."

Eight people charged after drug-trafficking investigation in B.C.'s Lower Mainland

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study
The Media Ecosystem Observatory study published today finds that Canadians’ total engagement with news content on social media has been reduced by 43 per cent, despite efforts to increase social media engagement on other platforms.

Canadian news engagement down significantly one year after Meta's ban: study

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather
A wildfire rampaging through Jasper National Park remains out of control as crews work to reduce the risk of it spreading. Parks Canada says sprinklers have been installed on some buildings north of the park's townsite, as fire activity is expected to increase.

Crews install sprinklers on remaining Jasper buildings ahead of hot weather

BC smuggler convicted

BC smuggler convicted
A failed plan to smuggle hundreds of kilograms of methamphetamine to Vancouver Island has resulted in a conviction in Seattle for an American man. A jury in U-S District Court found John Sherwood guilty of conspiracy to distribute drugs, possession of drugs and conspiracy to commit international money laundering in the April 2021 scheme.

BC smuggler convicted

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns
Fisheries and Oceans Canada says "aids to navigation" will continue operating at both the Carmanah Point and Pachena Point light stations located along the Vancouver Island coast that's also home to the famed West Coast Trail. The light keepers will move out of the buildings before winter weather arrives.

Coast Guard to end staffing at two B.C. lighthouses, following safety concerns

Suspicious fire at Surrey home

Suspicious fire at Surrey home
Police on Vancouver Island say they have arrested a suspect after a suspicious fire at a home in Sidney. R-C-M-P say officers responded just before 2 p-m yesterday. They say the blaze required a response from the North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich Fire Departments.

Suspicious fire at Surrey home