Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis
The steering committee was formed in late May with the goal of having overdose prevention and response actions in place on B-C campuses for this year's fall semester.

Province to reduce harms of overdose crisis

Cyclist in hospital

Cyclist in hospital
Police in Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a 53-year-old cyclist was taken to hospital with serious injuries after a collision with a vehicle. They say the biker was struck on East 10th Avenue Clark Drive intersection around 6 a-m yesterday. 

Cyclist in hospital

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior
The latest spans a portion of the District of Wells, about 80 kilometres east of Quesnel in the province's central Interior, where the BC Wildfire Service map shows a cluster of more than two dozen new fires in the area.

B.C. heat triggers burst of fire activity, new evacuation order in central Interior

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.
Police say the car left the road and crashed down an embankment. The Mounties say the three passengers were pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver was taken to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries.

Police say speed, intoxication contributed to crash that killed 3 in southeast B.C.

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box
Air Canada Cargo says in a statement that it was handling a shipment of eels from Toronto to Vancouver on July 7 when one container box accidentally spilled during unloading.

Eels writhe on Vancouver airport's tarmac after escaping from Air Canada cargo box

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall
Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says the deal sees the RCMP being replaced by the independent Surrey Police Service on Nov. 29 as part of a $250-million, 10-year agreement. 

Surrey Police to replace RCMP in Fall