Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'
There has been a "major failure" in a well in Merritt prompting the city to ask its residents to stop all non-essential water use. The city says in a statement that the failure is in the Voght well and affects the city's water distribution system. 

Residents of Merritt told to conserve water as city well has 'major failure'

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine
The ongoing war will top the agenda of the three-day summit following Russian missile attacks Monday that left death and destruction, including at a large children's hospital in Kyiv.

Trudeau attends NATO leaders' summit as Russia escalates aggression toward Ukraine

4 charged in Guildford robbery

4 charged in Guildford robbery
Mounties in Surrey says four people have now been charged after a robbery at a jewellery store in Guildford earlier this year. They say police responded after shots were fired at the store on February 18th, leaving one person with non-life threatening injuries. 

4 charged in Guildford robbery

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high
A summary from Environment Canada shows 25 daily high temperature records were set and two tied across the province Monday, from Whistler, to Trail in the southeast, Smithers in the northwest, and Campbell River on Vancouver Island. The Lytton area was a hot spot with a daily high of 42.4 C, breaking the old record of 39.4 set in 1952.

Daily heat records tumble in B.C., temperatures in southern Interior to remain high

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp
A pro-Palestinian protest camp that had occupied a sports field at the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus for more than two months has been dismantled by the demonstrators. Dozens of tents had been removed by Monday, although barricades and fencing around the site remain in place.

Pro-Palestinian protesters dismantle UBC camp

Man charged in weapons trafficking

Man charged in weapons trafficking
The Canada Border Services Agency says a man has been charged with one count each of weapons trafficking and possession of a prohibited firearm after an investigation that began in December 2022.

Man charged in weapons trafficking