Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave
In a decision posted online by Dave Teixeira, a spokesman for the children's relatives, the board says Schoenborn must not possess weapons, use alcohol or non-approved drugs or have contact with the relatives.

B.C. Review Board lets child killer Schoenborn keep eligibility for 28-day leave

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight
British Columbia's government has amalgamated 11 health-professional colleges into two, setting the foundation for what it says is stronger oversight. Health Minister Adrian Dix says merging the colleges is part of the government's plan to ensure health professionals are regulated more consistently and robustly. 

B.C. finishes merging health-profession colleges in plan for better oversight

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn
R-C-M-P homicide investigators say a man with a long criminal history has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of 30-year-old Tori Dunn in Surrey. Dunn died from injuries she sustained in what her father has described as a violent home invasion in the Port Kells neighbourhood on June 16th.

Murder charge in death of Tori Dunn

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend
Pierre Poilievre is the only federal leader whose staff would not answer questions about whether their chief intends to participate in Pride events this summer. Instead, his office is pointing to Melissa Lantsman, the party's deputy leader, who attended a Pride flag-raising ceremony on Parliament Hill earlier this month.

Poilievre's office silent on leader's Pride plans, other party chiefs look to attend

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says
The Canadian Armed Forces was following "legal orders" when it tried to rescue a group of Afghan Sikhs during the fall of Kabul three years ago, Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said. Eyre's comment came as former defence minister Harjit Sajjan explained his decision to intervene on behalf of a group of around 200 Afghan Sikhs who were trapped along with thousands of others in August 2021.

Military was following 'legal orders' to try to rescue Afghan Sikhs, Gen. Eyre says

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been charged with murder stemming from a fatal stabbing attack in March. Police say the stabbing happened on March 31st in downtown Victoria, where officers found one male victim dead and another unidentified victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria