Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police
Police say the occupants of a Winnipeg home destroyed in an explosion have been located and are safe. They say a father and daughter who lived in the home left before the blast and were found later in the day.

No deaths in Winnipeg house blast, no confirmed cause yet: police

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems
British Columbia's public power utility says for the first time it will provide rebates for the installation of rooftop solar and battery storage systems for residents and businesses.  BC Hydro says in a news release that eligible homeowners can receive rebates up to $10,000 for installing a qualified solar and battery storage system, while apartment buildings, schools, businesses and others could get from $50,000 to $150,000 back. 

B.C. homes and businesses to be eligible for rebates for rooftop solar systems

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan
Foreign workers have been making the transition to permanent residency at higher rates in recent years, Statistics Canada says. A new report from the federal agency shows that between 2016 and 2020, 23 per cent of foreign workers had become permanent residents two years after obtaining their first work permits.

Higher share of foreign workers became permanent residents in recent years: StatCan

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen
Commuter traffic is returning to normal in Calgary following a major water main break three weeks ago. Calgary's mayor says the avenue above the repaired water main is set to reopen Friday.

Major Calgary corridor closed due to water rupture three weeks ago set to reopen

Unprovoked spat on female

Unprovoked spat on female
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for a man who spat unprovoked at another pedestrian before fleeing. Police say the assault happened while the victim, a female pedestrian, was walking on a sidewalk in the early evening hours near Coquitlam Centre when she was spat on.

Unprovoked spat on female

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles
Abbotsford police say officers impounded 42 vehicles in a 48-hour period last week during a campaign targeting speeding drivers in the city. Police say officers were monitoring high-traffic corridors during the enforcement, and each driver caught speeding was issued a ticket and had their vehicle impounded for 7 days.

Abbotsford Police impound 42 vehicles