Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election
Seven multimedia experts have been selected to advise Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge as she renews the role of Canada's public broadcaster. Canadian Heritage says the group will provide policy advice mainly on CBC/Radio-Canada's governance and funding.

Seven media experts selected to help modernize CBC/Radio-Canada before next election

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a single-vehicle crash that resulted in the death of the male driver. Police say the crash happened early Saturday, and two people were taken to hospital from the scene.

Fatal collision in New Westminster

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton
Mounties say what appears to be a targeted altercation in Penticton over the weekend has left one person dead. Police say officers responded to the altercation on Lakeshore Drive involving several people on Sunday morning.

Fatal weekend altercation in Penticton

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall
British Columbia's finance minister has announced she won't be running again in the next provincial election after serving in the legislature for nearly two decades. Katrine Conroy said it will be hard to leave the people she's worked with over the years, but at 66, it's time to step back to spend time with her family.

B.C. finance minister Conroy says she'll retire after provincial election this fall

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation
Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe says he wants the city to reverse course after cancelling an event to mark Israel's national day.

Mayor says Ottawa will reverse course on Israel national day event after cancellation

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban
Canadian Blood Services says it has apologized to LGBTQ+ groups for a past policy that banned gay and bisexual men from donating blood.

Canadian Blood Services apologizes to LGBTQ+ groups for donation ban