Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes
Canfor has announced it is permanently closing its Polar sawmill in Bear Lake, B.C., shutting a production line at its Northwood Pulp Mill in Prince George, and suspending its "planned reinvestment" in Houston, B.C.

Canfor to close sawmill, curtail pulp production citing B.C. policy changes

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas
Federal and provincial immigration ministers will converge in Montreal Friday to puzzle out how to shrink the number of temporary residents in Canada while maintaining economic growth and the integrity of the overall system. 

Immigration ministers to meet in Montreal over cuts to temporary visas

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van
Police in North Vancouver say they've arrested a suspect who allegedly pepper-sprayed an elderly woman and tried to steal her phone in January 2023. R-C-M-P say the attack took place under the guise of a Facebook Marketplace exchange in which the woman was trying to sell her phone.

Senior pepper sprayed in North Van

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops
One person is dead and another was taken to hospital after a house fire in the Blackpool area, about 115 kilometres north of Kamloops. A statement from the Thompson-Nicola Regional District says the home was fully engulfed when firefighters responded to the blaze yesterday. 

Fatal house fire north of Kamloops

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody
Police in Port Moody say two 12-year-old boys have been arrested and released with conditions after they allegedly assaulted a girl at a SkyTrain station. Police say they were notified on Tuesday of a video circulating in the community depicting an assault at the Moody Centre station the day before.

Arrest of 12 year olds in Port Moody

B.C. creates a special homicide unit as gangs involved in 46 per cent of murders

B.C. creates a special homicide unit as gangs involved in 46 per cent of murders
British Columbia is forming a specialized gang-related homicide investigation team, saying gangland murders now make up almost 50 per cent of the killings in the province. Data from the Ministry of Public Safety says gang-related homicides have climbed from 21 per cent of all killings in the province in 2003 to 46 per cent last year.

B.C. creates a special homicide unit as gangs involved in 46 per cent of murders