Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to increase local milk production with $25-million factory investment

B.C. to increase local milk production with $25-million factory investment
The British Columbia government is spending up to $25 million toward the construction of a milk production plant aimed at boosting the supply of locally sourced food products. The province says in a statement that the expansion to Vitalus Nutrition's plant in Abbotsford, B.C., will begin construction this summer and will increase local milk production by 50 per cent, to 1.4 billion litres annually.

B.C. to increase local milk production with $25-million factory investment

Trudeau announces $5B-loan guarantee program for Indigenous communities

Trudeau announces $5B-loan guarantee program for Indigenous communities
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is offering $5 billion in loan guarantees to support Indigenous communities seeking ownership stakes in natural resource and energy projects.  Trudeau says the program will help Indigenous peoples receive a fair share in Canada's economic growth.  

Trudeau announces $5B-loan guarantee program for Indigenous communities

Baby lives after stroller hit and dragged by vehicle in Squamish

Baby lives after stroller hit and dragged by vehicle in Squamish
A baby in a stroller survived being struck and dragged for two blocks while it was lodged in the front of a vehicle in Squamish, B.C. Mounties say they received multiple calls that a vehicle had hit a pedestrian pushing a baby in the stroller at a crosswalk Monday night.

Baby lives after stroller hit and dragged by vehicle in Squamish

2 officers hurt in hit and run arrest

2 officers hurt in hit and run arrest
Police in North Vancouver says two officers were hurt last week as they tried to arrest a suspect in a hit-and-run.  RCMP say they're now hoping for dash cam and surveillance footage to aid them in their investigation after a crash around 1 a-m on April 17 on the Dollarton Highway. 

2 officers hurt in hit and run arrest

Police watchdog investigate death of a man in custody of Chilliwack RCMP

Police watchdog investigate death of a man in custody of Chilliwack RCMP
B-C’s police watchdog is investigating the death of a man while in the custody of Chilliwack R-C-M-P.  Mounties say they were called yesterday afternoon to a report of a fight inside a vehicle sitting on a city street. 

Police watchdog investigate death of a man in custody of Chilliwack RCMP

Search underway for two kayakers reported missing near Sidney, B.C., say RCMP

Search underway for two kayakers reported missing near Sidney, B.C., say RCMP
The Sidney/North Saanich RCMP is asking for the public's help locating two men who went missing while kayaking from D'Arcy Island to View Beach on Saturday afternoon. The RCMP say the men were in a teal blue fibreglass, two-person, tandem kayak. They are identified as Daniel MacAlpine, 36, and twenty-six-year-old Nicholas West.

Search underway for two kayakers reported missing near Sidney, B.C., say RCMP