Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta to pay nurse practitioners up to 80 per cent of what family doctors make

Alberta to pay nurse practitioners up to 80 per cent of what family doctors make
The Alberta government announced Thursday a new payment model that would allow nurse practitioners to make 80 per cent of what family doctors are paid.

Alberta to pay nurse practitioners up to 80 per cent of what family doctors make

Man accused of first-degree murder more than two years after Manitoba double homicide

Man accused of first-degree murder more than two years after Manitoba double homicide
Manitoba RCMP have charged a man with first-degree murder, more than two years after a double homicide on the Northlands Denesuline First Nation, a remote fly-in community of some 900 residents in the province's far north.

Man accused of first-degree murder more than two years after Manitoba double homicide

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism
An agreement between the B.C. government and the First Nations that manage Joffre Lakes Provincial Park will see the popular tourist spot closed for part of the year to protect its "natural and cultural values."

B.C.'s Joffre Lakes Park to have partial closure, allowing for conservation, tourism

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area
Police in White Rock, B.C., say two stabbings in the city within a few days and with apparent similarities are "alarming."

Man stabbed to death in White Rock, B.C., days after similar knife attack in area

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years
Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson is resigning her legislature seat and leaving political life.

Former Manitoba premier Heather Stefanson leaving politics after 23 years

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000
One of the most anticipated multicultural events of the Lower Mainland the Surrey Vaisakhi Parade was celebrated over the weekend. Canada’s largest Vaisakhi Parade outside of Punjab, India took place on Saturday, April 20th, in Surrey, and was attended by 550,000 people. 

Surrey Vaisakhi parade draws 550,000